Monday, August 12

Giant Ruler Growth Chart

I've been looking at the growth chart rulers on Pinterest for months now and last week I was having a moment, or a couple of days where I was just feeling like time was going by so fast and figured I better hurry and get one of these made if I wanted to track Lawson's growth before it was time for him to move out and go college. Maybe it had something to do with his 2 1/2 year old birthday was August 4th, I don't know, whatever it was, after Lawson was asleep and Mike was home to hold down the fort, I headed out to our Home Depot to look for a board to start my project.  Once I found what I thought would be the perfect piece of wood for my giant ruler I walked over to the only register that was left open and the cashier says, your total will be $32.  
Insert my confusion...
For a piece of wood?? Can't I go get one of these out of a dump somewhere?? Or off a construction site scrap pile?
....And I just know I read every DIY blog on Pinterest and they all say this project should cost less than $15, total. Stain, wood, paint brush, marker, everything. By this time Home Depot was closing, and I did
consider buying it anyway but was disappointed that my project was going to cost more than I originally thought, considering this did not even include the stain or protective finish, or stencil or any type of marker! So, I told the nice cashier I didn't want it and I would be back the next day. 
The next day I met a nice associate in the board and lumber section who helped me pick out a nice pine board which cost about $9. The difference in the two pieces? I'm still kind of unsure, I think it has something to do with the finish or the treatment the boards receive before going on the shelf. Anyway, I headed to the paint section and found the smallest can of stain and polyurethane in one, in a color I liked, I went to the check out counter again, my total was about $15, and then hoped that I would be able to fit the board in my car. 
Thankfully I got it in my with no problem, just sideways stretching across the console and passenger seat and behind driver seat.
I took my board home put some tables together out in the garage, sanded it down, stained it with one coat of and let it dry for a couple of days.  Sunday afternoon, while Mike was still working on staining the fence and Lawson was taking a nap, I marked my lines in PENCIL first and then, after confirming everything was in the right place, I went back over them with a black sharpie.  I used a 2 inch stencil from Hobby Lobby to stencil on my numbers. 
This project is easy but I was pretty nervous marking all of the lines. I haven't attached any clips or anything to the back but will do that sometime, after I decide where I want to hang it.
Originally, I was thinking upstairs in the hallway next to Lawson's bedroom but now I am leaning towards somewhere downstairs so I can admire my giant ruler more often. Ha.
Either way, we have tons of options because we still have next to nothing on all of the walls in our "new" house.....4 months after moving in. 
Oh and a GREAT idea I read on one of the blogs was to get your child's measurements from your pediatrician( if you don't still have them) that way you can add whatever ones you don't have from the past! Yay!
 I like this idea because even though the doc gave me a piece of paper with this info. on it at every well check, I am not sure where those papers are at the moment and don't really care to spend the time searching for them.
 Guess I need to get a better filing system together or something. Next project?
For now, I'll just let the doctors office do the work for me.
They will probably type his little name in their computer, press PRINT, and VOILA...Lawson's growth chart.

Here are some of the instructions I used that I found on Pinterest

Giant Ruler
Because I like to Decorate
Wilker Do's



The board ready for sanding

Stain and protective whatever in one


We need some of those clamp things


I started my ruler at 6 inches so it will be 6 in off the floor when we hang it on the wall


I will post a picture once we hang it in the house, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment